Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wakarusa Preview: Ana Sia


ANA SIA

It seems like most festivals have added DJ music on their own stage and late night sets. What are your thoughts on the progression?

I’m really grateful that festivals have opened up to having diverse music and acts, whether it be live or straight electronic stuff. It makes for more of a well rounded atmosphere. There is room for it all

You have traveled so many places to spread your music to the masses. Any place in particular you have grown fond of? Any place you weren’t a big fan of and why?

The midwest has been really good. Colorado specifically I tend to gravitate to a lot. There is something special with the CO music scene. The wide minds of the people and the general openness, not hell bend on a specific genre that they only listen to. I can’t say that I have had a disappointing experience anywhere. Always meeting true music lovers all over in the most surprising of places. That makes me really happy.

We won’t bash anyone here then. How did you end up in San Francisco?

I was born in Minnesota and lived there till I was 17, went to NY for 5 years, the big island of Hawaii for a while and in San Francisco for the last five years.

Seems like you have been across the states literally. You see yourself living somewhere else in the future?

I really love it, can’t see myself living anywhere else unless it was somewhere really foreign. For me, the West Coast and San Francisco is the perfect quilted together blend of every place I have lived. The weather, the vibe and everything makes San Francisco that much better for me.

Will Wakarusa be your first time in Arkansas, or have you rocked AR before?

This will be my first time in Arkansas, first time at Wakarusa.

What’s the best and worst thing about being on the road?

The best thing about it is threading all these communities, small town to big cities and meeting like minded individuals. The thread is art, music and dance, which is special. The worst thing is food and or learning how to sleep in public spaces.

I hear the terms “glitch hop” and “dub step” all the time, used to describe DJ music generally. Labels are a touchy subject, so how would you classify your own music?

Multi tempo bass music? I play everything from drum and bass to house to funky to two step to old dub step to classic hip hop. The similar thing to all of those is bass. Nobody likes the labels, especially being mislabeled. My music, my taste and what I try to bring everybody each time I see them is going to be different and fresh, probably a 180 from the batch of tunes I was playing before. That’s why it’s hard to define what I play. It keeps people guessing and keeps people interested for sure.

Keeping on the music motif, who are some of your influences, modern and retro?

Now it’s a lot of UK producers, Untold and Raska, some more of the UK funky in house producers, Frite Nite Crew here in San Francisco, people around me and my musical family. In the past I was a pop junkie as a kid. A lot of Prince, a lot soul, and r&b stuff, but I also played and listened to a lot of classical music.

Are there other musical instrument interests outside of your DJ magic? What do you listen to at home?

I played a couple as a kid, but only kept up with piano. At home, I still listen to a lot of classical music. I love good solid music, whether it’s hip hop or electronic. My at home listening is less electronic than anything.

What was your musical foundation - did you have one beyond piano?


I mostly got into the electronic music scene being part of a dance community. I started DJing 5 years ago and was in a strong dance community for 5 years before that. I mainly got involved being a person on the dance floor and wanted to step into a DJ role just for fun really because I was musical. It unfolded into what I’m doing now and being able to provide a dance experience I would like to have. So it was kind of like, “I want to be the one that makes people dance”? Not from a selfish point of view, more of a selfless act of wanting to share some great music I get a hold of and keep people motivated for dancing.

How much of your show is planned and how much is spontaneous?

It’s mostly a freestyle situation. Definitely have the new freshies I am going to play all the time, but the other stuff depends on the crowd.

Do you do live producing?


I don’t do a lot of producing, I do a little. Most of the music that I make is quite different from the stuff that I play. I tend to lean toward the down tempo style.

You have tons of energy, jumping around on stage and getting into every beat. It’s amazing really. Where do you get your energy from?


Complete enjoyment of what I am doing. I can’t help that I am a very expressive person and it mostly comes out in actions. I don’t know how to be any other way. I tried standing still once. I had a pretty bad neck injury and had to do some shows, but it didn’t stop me.

I couldn’t imagine you standing still for a show. That would be more shocking than you jumping through the ceiling. How much of this energy do you get from the crowd?

It’s a very reciprocal experience, I get everything from them. It would be pretty weird experience if I wasn’t getting anything back from them.

I personally am into tattoos so let’s talk about ink for a moment. Are there any on you that hold a higher meaning than the others? Any plans to add on in the near future?


I am pretty much done with ink. All of them are meaningful. Some of them are spontaneous and some are more thought out. The closest ones to me are the clouds I have on my back and my shoulders. They are the picture name of what my father named me as a kid.

I tend to ask each artist this question: what are your pre and post show rituals, if you have any.

Yeah, I have a couple. Pre show is usually sushi and a couple of good wall stretches. Post show is champagne and coconut water.

What kind of sushi is your favorite?


I usually like a nice Tataki, a seared fish situation. I try and usually am able to have sushi before every show. It’s fantastic.

Have to ask, PC or Apple? I have a feeling, but figured I would let you tell me yourself.

Apple, for sure. I can’t even imagine and it boggles my mind when I don’t see people on a Mac. I am so into my Mac toys. If Apple made groceries, I would probably buy their groceries. I was one of the first to use the iPad as a MIDI controller.

What is the next step in your musical development?

I am putting out a compilation by the end of the year on Frite Nite, my music label and affiliation family in San Francisco, focusing on North American artists only. We have some real incredible artists involved and are really, really proud of this project. Really happy to use that platform to bring some really fresh stuff. We are doing a Fall tour for the album, so I think we are looking at September, or at least to have the 12” out by September. We have sick art for it already and super excited about it.

Any last words for the fans and for those coming to Wakarusa?

A very giant thank you for all the support and trust for the last few years.

Ana Sia plays at Wakarusa on Friday night from 9:30 pm - 11 pm on the Satellite Stage.

Official Wakarusa Site



Printed in Glide Magazine, 6/1/11

No comments:

Post a Comment